Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Guest Post: A Letter to my Unborn Child

2.30 am. The cramps started, intermittent at first then full blown. You see, I was inexperienced, but of course I had to be calm. Although my insides were falling apart at an alarming rate, I eased your mother into the car and sped through the Lagos highways never glancing at the speedometer nor sparing a thought for the other commuters on the road.



I was going to have a baby.


10.03 am. I had now been pacing around the reception room for the last few hours, I was tired, but today sleep was an unobtainable panacea as I was too anxious to even sit down for more than 5 minutes. The doctor was now approaching. You see, I am a lawyer and I have trained myself to detect the emotions behind the faces of my clients, the judges and the jury; but today was different, my emotions robbed me of the calm needed for this skill and I could read nothing from the straight serious face of the doctor as he approached. I could only think of the worst.





10.05 am. “Are you Mr. Mitchell Aghatise?” I sought to respond in the affirmative but I couldn’t muster a sound. My body obliged me to offer a slight nod and the doctor broke into the broadest grin. “Congratulations sir, you are the father of a bouncing baby girl; both mother and daughter are fine.” Oh what joy flooded me, “Can I see them?” I enquired, “Most certainly sir” was the reply. As I approached, my eyes saw the most beautiful person. As she looked up, I noticed she had my eyes and her mother’s nose, ‘an overwhelming emotion consumed me – love’ and I knew from that day onward I would always be there for her.



*
Dear Daughter,
You are a Nigerian; born in Lagos, when people say that you were unfortunate to have been born here, I will make sure that although aware of the challenges that people face growing up in this part of the world, it will be an experience alien to you. I vow to give you the best in life… Oh! But I will be careful; you won’t be proud or spoilt but graciously modest while privileged… My daughter, your dad will work hard. Because of you I will work tirelessly with you as my motivation to change the landscape of this country so that you and the grandchildren you will give me will live in a secure and safe country.

Dear Daughter,

Your experiences in life won’t be limited to Nigeria, but we will travel, I will show you the world; from Kenya to Malaysia from China to India from Atlanta to Indonesia from Argentina to Afghanistan.  A well-rounded individual is what you will be, a citizen of the world- versed in cultures and competitive in any sphere you find yourself.

My very own daughter, you are a reflection of me but beyond a mirror, you will be my perfect redefinition, you will be smart, and intelligent, not hanging on any man to be successful in life. Instead of being the video vixen of your life story, I think of you more as the record company director. That you are a woman is not a glass ceiling but a stepping stone to greatness… A pioneer for your generation leading the way for other women…


My Daughter,

I am not happy when your dreams are limited to the heights I have reached. Of course I am happy to be your example and a positive role model, but baby, you shall be even more; if the sky was my limit I need you to understand that the sky is  only the starting point for you.



My Daughter,
I will be there for you, through good times and bad, I know I will be difficult when boys start calling you late in the night, but understand that I have your best interests at heart. I pray daily that  I set a perfect example for the man you will choose, oh not someone who will devalue you but someone who will help you grow. when heartbreak comes; I see you strong and resilient, skilfully mending the pieces of your heart, with the firm belief that a setback is a set up for a comeback. You will be a lawyer like your dad, but if your passions lie elsewhere, I will not impose a career upon you. Whatever path you intend to chase greatness, that is the least I expect, that you find greatness or be safe in the knowledge that you gave it your all.


My Daughter,
Although I dread it, I accept that you will one day grow old and refuse to be called daddy’s little girl but one thing you should always know is that I will always love you, I will always be there for you…On a final note, life will hit you down but your trust in God will always take you through.Long after we leave this earth, if history is kind to me, my deepest wish is not that you are remembered only as my daughter but the tombstone should read:


“… Here she lies. A trailblazer in her own right”



By Mitchell Aghatise
______________________________________________________________________

Mitchell Aghatise is a final year Law Student at the University of Leicester. He is the past President of the Elevation Networks Society and an avid Debater. Very passionate about politics in his home country Nigeria, in his spare time, he writes poems and essays on political affairs. 

5 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL ARTICLE! WONDERFUL MAN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just proud of you, Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best article i'v read so far (preppy)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OUR daughter you mean.

    Luv,
    Your mail order brides.

    ReplyDelete